Wednesday, May 30, 2012

MP 575 Got off to a late start from Tehachapi because I had to mail out my bounce box from the post office before leaving town. The clerk refused to accept my box because of the ORM-D Consumer Commodity label which indicates shipment of isobutane fuel canisters. She was absolutely ignorant and wrong but rather than argue I removed the offending fuel canister from the box. Next time I will think twice before going to the trouble of following all the rules and properly labeling the box.
Leaving Tehachapi I walked upwards into the Tehachapi Mountains through literally mile after mile of windmills. Although generally seen as environmentally benign, they surely do mar the landscape.
The weather was hot and dry. We had to carry water for a 25 mile dry stretch which on top of being newly resupplied with six days of food meant carrying one of the heaviest packs I have had so far. I am just guessing but it may have been forty pounds.



No comments:

Post a Comment