Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mile 242 - 266 Big Bear City
Friday, May 11, 2012

Hiked 24 miles into Big Bear City.    The trail was easy walking, nothing steep, so I made good time.  24 miles today was easier than some days of 14 to 16 miles.     I am getting stronger.   It amazes me though how in one day of walking I can go from the desert heat to the mountain cold and then back again.   There is a huge variation in temperatures.     Although the desert feels hot, in relative terms this has been a mild year and there has frequently been a cooling wind.      I am doing a much better job of estimating my water needs now which allows me to reduce my pack weight by several pounds.   I find that 1 liter is good for about 5 miles in cool weather or for about 3 miles in hot weather.   

The trail went through pine forest, back into high desert, then back into forest.   Saw not one, but two grizzly bears!  They were in cages near the trail at a ranch where they are kept for use by movie studios in Southern California.   I've been in good spirits.  It was such a nice day to be walking, the views were as awesome as ever, & the temp was cool.     Hitched into Big Bear City without any problem and am now currently staying at the Motel 6.   Friday will be for errands and R&R.   


No comments:

Post a Comment