Saturday, May 5, 2012

I arrived in Idyllwild yesterday evening and took my first zero in a week today.   Idyllwild is a charming mountain village and a good place for a rest.    Am staying at the Apple Blossom Inn which offers a special rate to thru-hikers.    All of the towns I have been through have been amazingly hospitable and kind to the thru's.     People spontaneously offer to give you a ride, etc.   







Have been averaging 18+ miles per day, yesterday 20 miles and gained more than 5,000 feet elevation.    Feet are in good shape.     Weather and scenery have been dazzling although experiencing high winds at the mountain ridges.    Coming over Takhquitz Peak the winds were a steady 20 to 30 miles per hour and left me feeling battered.     Snow has mostly melted but there were some snow fields of 40 to 50 feet and I was postholing badly going through them.  

Made the mistake of arriving in Idyllwild on a Friday after the post office had closed so I wasn't able to get my bounce box until late today and haven't been able to post anything.    It is late now and I have to get an early start tomorrow so I'll have to make this short.

Have a ride to the trailhead tomorrow from yet another trail angel.   Will start with a hike up Big Slide Trail to the PCT, gaining about 3,000 feet in 2.7 miles.    Hope to make it over Forrester Pass tomorrow where I understand there is still a lot of snow.   

No comments:

Post a Comment