Saturday, August 11, 2012

MP 1726   Ashland, Oregon
     Hiked out of Seiad Valley at about MP 1662.    Weather was forecast to be 105 degrees in Ashland.   Gained about 5,000 feet in the first six miles.  Don't know the exact temperature but it was plenty hot.   Forest fires made the air so hazy that I could hardly see the ridge on the next mountain.  Camped at MP 1677 with Sunset.   When I awoke the next morning the air was clear and  a thick fog had settled into the mountain valleys below with the mountain tops poking above the clouds.   The sunrise, doubtlessly because of the smoke from the forest fires, was fiery red.     I hiked all day and camped the end of the day at about 1707 which made it a 30 mile day.    It is hard to describe how good it felt to reach the Oregon border at MP 1699.    I felt like I am finally at home after hiking practically forever.   The next 1,000 miles follow as a matter of course.    Next day I made it into Ashland at about 1:30 with a short 19 mile hike.   Next couple of days have been spent at the Best Western Motel here in Ashland taking care of chores and buying food and packaging it for shipment into Oregon.     I will hike out tomorrow and hope to be at Timberline Lodge, at the North end of the State, in another 17 days (about 425 miles).  



Sunset:


No comments:

Post a Comment