Tuesday, August 7, 2012

MP 1662    Seiad Valley.    Happy Camp.    I started early and was pretty sure that I would get to Seiad before the end of the day which would have meant that I had walked a personal best of 34 miles in the day.   Unfortunately after about 28 miles I was hit by a sudden thunderstorm and wound up setting up my tarp on the trail and waiting until the next morning to walk in to Seiad Valley for resupply.     It was an impressive and sudden thunderstorm which left me soaking wet.    From Seiad Valley I have hitched down the road to Happy Camp, where there is a grocery store, for a  full zero.  Tomorrow I will hike out on what should be my last day in California.    Ashland, Oregon will be the next stop.

 I have now swapped my ULA backpack for the lighter weight Mariposa.   My heavy quilt is being replaced by my17 ounce, 30 degree, Jacks R Better quilt and my hexamid tarp will be replaced by a plain rectangular cuben fiber tarp which weighs 5 ounces.   My total base weight should now be somewhere in the vicinity of 10 to 12 pounds.     August 6 to 8



No comments:

Post a Comment