Wednesday, August 1, 2012

MP 1418 After leaving Drakesbad I continued hiking through Mt Lassen National Park. I hadn't been aware that, like Yellowstone, Lassen features geysers, boiling mud pots, etc.
 Later I hiked through a rain shower, one of the few we've had. Resupplied in Old Station and then went on to the Hat Creek Rim trail. This is reputedly one of the hottest, driest sections on the trail, but I really loved it. It involves walking on the rim of a canyon. High above the savanna-like valley hundreds of feet below. 31 miles without a source of water. Mt Shasta came into view in the distance. Seeing the Cascades makes me feel like I am nearing home.   When night came I found a spot on a point jutting out from the canyon wall and protected by a gnarled old juniper.   About 270 degrees around me was straight down.   I fell asleep watching the sun set over Mt. Shasta.    July 25

Mt. Lassen:



Hat Creek Rim:


No comments:

Post a Comment