Wednesday, August 1, 2012

MP 1355 23 miles this day to arrive at Drakesbad Resort. This is a high end resort that oddly enough also caters to hikers. Free showers and laundry. Dinner costs 10 dollars, breakfast five. The trail on the way in has a sign directing hikers in one direction and horses in the other direction. I took the trail labeled for hikers. Wrong. Apparently I was to intuitively understand that thru-hikers fall into the same category as horses. Anyway I finally got here. My clothes were whisked away by the maid and I was given a loaner set of clothes and was bid to swim in their hot springs pool before dinner. Very luxurious.
The hikers get fed the leftovers after the resort guests have been fed. But what leftovers! I was seated at a picnic table with five other hikers: Groler bear, Shaggy, Hamburger, Skeeter and Paws. Then out came huge, heaping platters of food, served family style. Roast pork with prune sauce, stuffed potatoes, eggplant parmesan fresh vegetables, fresh bread.   Desert was cheesecake.
Back again for breakfast which was equally elaborate. Too bad I couldn't stay longer.
July 22

Groler Bear and Shaggy:



No comments:

Post a Comment