Tuesday, June 26, 2012

MP 766   Crabtree Meadows    This is a broad, green meadow, bordered by pine trees, creek running through it; set in a perfect bowl made by the mountains towering on all sides.   A few moments ago there was a small herd of deer peaacable grazing not far from where I am camped.   They are oblivious to me. 


This is also the place where the Mt. Whitney climbers gather.   I have decided to skip Whitney as my leg still causes considerable pain on downhill and broken ground.  I did 24 miles yesterday.   Leg somewhat swollen but not significantly painful this morning.    I am sorely tempted to climb Whitney but know two hikers who have had to leave the trail because of the same injury.   

At this point the Pacific Crest Trail joins the John Muir trail and the two trail are the same up to Yosemite.    All the trail signs now are for the JMT.    I entered Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park yesterday at about MP 760.    My next 140 miles will be in SKC and Yosemite National Parks.  

Most hiking has been above 10,000 feet which leaves me winded.   Today I will go over Forester Pass which is the highest portion of the trail at about 13,100 feet. 

The trail are dazzlingly beautiful, the mountains awe-inspiring.     I am no longer an observer but part of the portrait.    I am not outdoors any longer.     As I walk I am stunned by the fierce beauty of my surroundings.   And then just when I think I am inured to it I am stunned again, sometimes to the point of breathlessness.    And then the process starts again.  

I am climbing Forester Pass.    This place is one of the main reasons hikers are advised not to go through the high Sierras alone because of the danger.      But there is very little snow this year so I am hiking by myself.    The lake below is a pale, iridescent rainbow of colors.    There were a few hikers gathered below but they have become so tiny I can no longer see them as I switchback my way upward.    Over the pass, there is not much snow here and I am instead scrambling up and down fields of scree.    This brings me down onto a trail that I had assumed to be the PCT but quickly realized it wasn't.     Interesting how quickly one can know he is not on the right trail just because of the feel of it.   This is at least the third time this has happened.      I can hear a subterranean river roaring under the rocks beneath me.  

Approaching Forrester Pass: 









This is Forrester Pass.    Can you tell where the pass is?    It's the notch on the left side.   It's about 1,500 feet of elevation gain from this spot.   There are switchbacks carved into the rock all the way up the side of the mountain. 


Switchbacks at the top:



Looking back from the top of the pass.   The ridge on the left is over 1,000 feet high:


Looking North from the Pass:


No comments:

Post a Comment