Sunday, June 3, 2012

MP 602 - June 1
Badly miscalculated my water and wound up with only 1.4 liters to get me to the next source at Robin Bird Spring12 miles away, temperature in the 90's, all uphill. Decided to hike at night to conserve water. Started at 8 pm hiking without a headlamp but aided by a bright gibbous moon. Climbing upward into the mountains the landscape appeared dramatically below with an otherworldly, dreamlike quality. Absolute silence. No wind. Heading through a stand of ponderosa pine a heard the sound of a large animal to my left, crashing through the undergrowth seeming to be coming straight at me. It suddenly emerged from the trees, looming in front of me. It was a cow.
Finally made it to Robin Bird Spring in the early morning hours. Passed the 600 mile mark at about 2 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment