Saturday, February 25, 2012

Regarding packages and mail:         
Addresses and printable mailing labels for resupply points along the way are here:  
http://www.pcta.org//planning/before_trip/labels.asp

Letters can be mailed first class.   Packages should all be shipped by USPS Priority Mail, unless it is to a location that only takes UPS.    These are noted on the pcta list.    If you mail by First Class Mail or Parcel Post the chances are too great that I will not receive it.    Flat rate priority mail boxes are a very good.    Postage cost for a medium to large box ranges from $10.95 to $14.95.    Using regional rate mail service is a little bit cheaper but can only be done on line.  

Do not use Fed Ex.

However you send the box, please make sure that I DO NOT have to sign for it.

I do not have firm dates for when I will be at specific locations.    If my itinerary says I will be somewhere on June 5, its possible that I will get there several days or even a week early, or late.  Therefore it is a good idea to plan for a box to get to the town a couple days earlier than my scheduled ETA.    If you are planning on sending something I suggest you email or leave a voice mail to check on my arrival date and to late me know that I need to pick something up at the post office.

 Packages and mail will always be welcome.    If you do send something please  be sure not to send something that has to be carried.    Food is good.   Books and similar items will have to be sent back home.

It is very important that you address each letter/box as detailed on the pcta address list.   Do not forget to write:  "Hold For PCT Hiker.   ETA: (date)"  on the bottom left corner of all boxes and letters.    It is also helpful if you write my last name in big black letters on all sides of any box.    Surprise packages would be nice, but I have got to ask for all my mail.    If I don't know you have sent something, I won't know to ask for it.    So if you are sending me something, please send me an email or voice mail to tell me about the package. 




No comments:

Post a Comment